Monday, November 13, 2006

Back to reality

(as an aside my first typo for this entry almost made it a career change - Back to REALTY)
 
The reality of life once again crowds into my mind after the surreal experiences of last week.  The normalcy of work was nothing compared to the reminder this morning of how unbelievably oblivious commuting drivers can be.  I incredulously watched the traffic on the other side of the road this morning, as a wailing ambulance crested a hill approaching from the north, and actually had to honk it's horn.  Not once, not twice, but for several different drivers, one of whom was bad enough that the ambulance driver just leaned on the horn for about 3-5 seconds before the van actually changed lanes to get out of the way.  Keep in mind the ambulance was on the anti-commute side of traffic, and the volume was light, as in you could change lanes freely and everyone was at speed, in fact, most people had gotten out of the way probably without hitting the brakes.  This van was different, for perhaps 1-2 tenths of a mile it was clear behind him, with a full view of the rapidly approaching ambulance.  Even if he couldn't hear the screaming siren (which I admit I've rocked out in the car, and not heard it till after I ~saw~ it, but I've ~NEVER~ had to be honked at!) he HAD to have seen the flashing lights for at least a little bit.  Makes me wonder if he'd been on his cell phone, oblivious to the world.  Yes, Scott and James, another Blog O' Scorn entry, but it was such a stark reminder of the reality of the DC area commuter.  I hope the ambulance made it to it's destination in time to make a difference.
 
For anyone in the security/information assurance world, I passed my exam today from DSS for the Chapter 8.  (If you have no idea what I'm talking about, just ignore it and move on. *grin*)  Needless to say it's many hours of CBT down, that finally agree I knew what I was talking about in the first place.  :-)
 
But now I need to go eat some chinese food.  Bring on the Shrimp Imperial (or whatever they're calling it this week) and the green beans!

2 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Blogger bahnsidthe said...

Congrats on the Chap 8. Pain in the tushy, whaddin it?

Hope you saw the letter to our mutual timecard signer. The next one goes to HR (next time I am yelled at by fuzznutz) and then some "stew" with a side of "moraccos" for the security/IT food fest *wink wink* Gee that was fun to write.

Last but not least, I had contemplated writing a similar post as I saw 2 pre-teens just walk out in front of traffic that would have been past had they waited 10 seconds. The sense of people's "entitlement" nowadays is a post I would have gotten in serious trouble for but FFS!! Saw a guy run the red light yet again because he felt entitled to not wait 3 minutes for the green. ... No turn signals, backing out of an exit ramp, I mean, it's like too many rats in a cage. My comment rant :-D

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger swtrble said...

Congrats on the test!

Aren't drivers something? Wonder how they would feel if that was their family member in the back... I'm right there with ya on this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home