Friday, November 03, 2006

Men are pigs, and other random thoughts

After several discussions this week regarding men and what they're thinking, I've decided to give it a short blurb here. And the quick answer is - Yes, we think about it once an average of every 7 seconds. "Do men multi-task?" I've heard that asked. Yes, the fact that we can even walk or talk or do ~anything~ else, means we multitask. It has also been suggested that we are hollow inside, this point I do actually rebut. I do not argue very strongly as it's true for a great number of males, as is the "never grow up past 14 years old" comments I've heard. While it's easy to blame this behavior on hormones (and hey... testosterone is rough to be hit with it ALL the time!) but it's not just chemicals. It's what we're taught. Directly or indirectly, by parents and family, by friends and neighbors, even by TV and books. There are subtle hints and cues throughout our lives that lead us to this kind of behavior and thinking.

Don't get too far up on the soap box with me ladies. You too are victims of your learning. The communication skills, the subtle manipulations, even the ability to think, feel, and SPEAK at the same time are things you've learned over the years. While I am jealous of some of those skills from time to time, being the childish man that I am, I couldn't handle the hormone fluctuations with any of the skill and grace most of you manage.

And to quote the wonderful speaker I had the opportunity to hear this week,
"Men truly are from Mars, Women are from Venus, and Politicians are from Uranus."
- "The D*I*C*E man" (1)
If you ~ever~ get the chance to see this guy, go to the briefing. I had a chance to chat with him before and after the presentation, and it only made me want to go talk with him for a few hours at a bar. I share MANY of his viewpoints about people, security, the world in general, and technology. Ok... maybe not the technology part. We both agree it's a tool that has made people sluggish, and that technology is a threat (I think it's #2, but we agree that people are and will always be #1). Just remember, you're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.


(1) I don't think this was originally quoted by him, but since I couldn't find this particular phrasing for anyone else, I'll leave it for now.


On a side note, I had to post something that distracted me from the other events going on at home. There was not good news from the vet visit today, unfortunately. As usual my wife is far more eloquent than I would be.

2 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Blogger JamesF said...

Man, I thought for a second you got to hear the Dice Man. Now that would be cool.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger The Dogfather said...

No James. Last time I say THAT Diceman, I was in military school, and it was our "holiday" movie for our company.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home