Tuesday, July 25, 2006

So you think you're special...

Everyone thinks they're special. And in some ways I'm sure it's true. Everyone's special. The problem with that is, if everyone is special, then no one is. This time I'm specifically referring to the way people drive and park. Ok.. the way they park. Who are these people that feel entitled to park across two spaces in the middle of a parking lot? I mean. I can understand having a new car and wanting it not to get dented. Fine. Park it at the back of the lot across two spots. I don't care. Parking it in the middle of a lot is just asking for someone else (who was entitled to one of those spots; probably the closer one) to be spiteful. I witnessed this recently with someone parking deliberately across two spots. Again if it was a new car (or even not new) but parked at the back of the lot - fine. But it was an old beat up vehicle. I just don't get it.

I've also noticed more and more the way people drive. The majority of people seem to think they are the only ones on the road. I've watched people drift over into other lanes narrowly avoiding an accident (ok it was usually the other driving honking and swerving on their own that avoided it) and I'm surprised there are not more incidents on a daily basis. I would say it's all people on their cell phones, but it isn't. Not to say the cell phone drivers aren't bad, they are, especially with no headset. My favorite is the guy I saw driving with cell in right hand pressed up to left ear, holding (and smoking) cigarette in left hand, and driving with knees (I assume). I've also seen variants of this with left hand to right ear, and right handing eating/drinking/makeup?!/holding map and reading?!!? It just blows my mind. Honestly I have no idea how anyone gets anywhere without getting hit.

Movies, Grocery stores, retail stores, restaurants, sidewalks, malls, amusement parks, nature parks, beach vacation - you name it, and I've seen people bring this entitled atmosphere with them everywhere. It seems to transcend mere selfishness, and reach into an almost deliberate ignorance of anyone and everything in their surroundings. All these people know only of what they need, and screw anyone that gets in their way. It's a very messed up version of the '80s generation. Sure it was bad. It was the "ME" generation. Unfortunately it seems like we took the worst of that and compounded it. We now live in the "ME! Oh and BLEEP you!" generation.

It's observations like these of those around me that make me sad for the species as a whole. No, I don't think all people are like this, but I do strongly believe that people that seem normal and friendly in person, posses the ability to transform into one of these "entitledists". Perhaps I fall into the category and have become so short of vision that I too absorb this spirit of uncaring, perhaps you reading this lose your connection with the other beings on this planet when you get into the car, or that long line at the store, or next to that person that parked 2 inches too close. Perhaps we are all one turn of a key away from the madness. I hope not.

3 Comments:

At 4:34 AM, Blogger Scott said...

I hope you feel better now, having gotten that out. You were starting to sound like my old crotchety grandfather! :-)

In my day, it was "by your leave, madam" before the horses would cross the street. Never had a problem with cell phones and horse buggies, ya know.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger JamesF said...

if everyone is special, than [sic] no one is

Someone's seen the Incredibles.

perhaps you reading this lose your connection ...

You're right, as I was entering this in from my laptop as I was driving in to work going from hot spot to hot spot, I lost connection numerous times.

with the other beings on this planet...

Oh, well. Nevermind.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger The Dogfather said...

It's not so much that I feel better. This is not a new "feeling" to me. It's something I've watched over a period of time. No I don't believe everyone is evil or rude, I'm just disappointed by the rate of increase.

As to James:
That line has been repeated in one form or another in multiple places, most recently and most similar to the Incredibles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home