Tuesday, June 06, 2006

It's only a game.

I know it's a game. I keep telling myself this. Yet, I am not consoled. How can a software manufacturer release something with obvious problems. If you have no interest in PC games, just stop reading now. No really, there's nothing beyond a mini-rant coming. It's not pretty. You were warned.

So City of Heroes (and Villains) released a large content update, which added maps, powers, badges, all sorts of fun stuff right? Sure! However, somewhere along the line they managed to break how some people travel. (There are four main ways to travel Flight, Running, Jumping, and Teleporting.) They've made it so those who teleported can only pick a place to land about a third of the time. Needless to say this makes it annoying at best. Yes, only 25% (ok probably some other percentage of people actually use this, but we'll pretend for rant's sake) of the population is affected, but still. I mean they've had this patch on a test server for weeks, and it's a "known issue". Why wouldn't you fix it before you released it? I just don't understand. The only thing I can come up with is the marketing department said "You have to get the updates for the Villains out on 6/6/6!!! We don't care if it works, it MUST go live on that day! We're so clever." I guess my expectations are higher. I personally hope if I were in that situation that I'd either fix it, or not send it out.

*reminds self it is, after all, only a GAME*

Some comments from the boards:
"This is a bug from test that carried over into live. You can see most of the discussion relating to the bug in test at this thread."

"I played a character with TP on test, and noticed almost immediately that something was very, very wrong..."

This one was particularly funny:
"Are you telling me that Teleport is WORSE in I7??"

"A lot of my characters teleport. This would be nearly crippling for them."

"Sounds like it could be the problem, lets hope they fix it.
PLEASE OH PLEASE DON'T LET THIS GO LIVE! "

"Yeah, since the I7 testing came on, my main test toon simply cannot teleport properly any longer."

"Ugh. I suppose I picked a really craptastic time to try teleport for the first time on test?"

And last but not least:
"Oh man, even with a keybind, TP has to be - hands down - the worst travel power. And not because it's fundamentally flawed, but just the way it's implemented!"

There's another 8 pages of ranting, but I think you get the idea.
Ah well.
*reminds self AGAIN that it's only a GAME*

1 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger JamesF said...

Ask for your monthly fee to be refunded until it's fixed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home