Thursday, August 24, 2006

Reader's Request

Today's subject is from a reader:
5 people I'd like to get even with

First of all if I don't know you how can I even begin to guess about who you'd like to get even with? Perhaps you're a disgruntled employee that wants retribution for an overlooked promotion? Maybe the geeky kid in school that has a list of the 5 people that you're going to "get" someday. Perhaps even a postal worker... but if you were I'm sure you're a very nice one and wouldn't want to harm anyone, especially someone that writes a blog...;-)

So I suppose that since we have no idea who you are (or who you want to get even with), we'll have to go with me. (not for you to get even with me, but 5 supposed people I'd want to get even with).

For those of you that know me, you may know that on occasion I have a penchant for the dramatic rant, and flights of vengeful fantasy. That I do not (usually) fulfill. Due mainly to the amount of havoc I caused as a youngster and my desire to set that right, which is why I usually try to use my powers only for good (well... at least not evil). In the big scheme of things most of the persons who have ever made to anything resembling my "black list" have already had so many other obstacles thrown at them in this life, that it would just be too mean for me to heap on more misfortune. Most often it's that through their own behavior they have alienated most of the other people they've met, and the few that do hang around them still do so for selfish reasons (power, fame, money, etc).

I can count on my hands the number of people I've come across that I have ever seriously wanted to exact my own form of revenge. Revenge. It sounds so dirty, so primal, so selfish. Truly an ugly way to look at one's reflection in a mirror. Usually we couch truths about ourselves in words that seem much better, even when we describe the exact same behavior that we just commented on or witnessed another enacting. We use words like justice, reparation, balance, compensation, fairness, and equity. Because those words are not personal. They are not small.
# Revenge - other people getting even for misperceived slights against their person.
# Justice - one triumphantly bringing balance to the universe where someone else has transgressed.)

So who are these people? There aren't any. Yes, there are still less than a handful that a part of me wishes the universe would hurry up and equalize, but that's not ~my~ job. MY job is me, and the things important to me (my pack). Because boiled down to its essence, revenge is simply wasting more time, energy, and hurt on someone or something that wasn't worth it in the first place. If they are mean or rude, deliberate or accidental, or even consciously malicious the WHO they are will ultimately have them reap what they sow. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, maybe... not even this life.

I know it sounds all fantastic and enlightened and all, but that is merely my "goal", not necessarily my end product. As with all people some days I drive it down the fairway, others I find myself in the rough, and some days... I'm just plain out of bounds. I'm not always on par, but the holes-in-one sure do feel good.

Now that I've lost everyone's interest, I'll try to have a funnier post tomorrow.

Bob: Knock. Knock.
Ray: Who's there?
Bob: Interrupting cow.
Ray: Interrupting co...Bob:MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Heh... that's my favorite knock knock joke. It's better in person, btw.

4 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger swtrble said...

Geesh, i have never been so disappointed by you... oh wait, there was that one time..

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger JamesF said...

One time? That's all? That's amazing.

I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, where's the dog video?!? I've checked Lidia's site, it's not there. Google's been up for most of the day. I'm hearing excuses forthcoming...

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger swtrble said...

ok, more than once, but you know how sensitive men can be about that kind of stuff.

I am kidding Ken!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger The Dogfather said...

"Take that up with da wife. I'm only the editor, post production analyst!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home