Sunday, April 30, 2006

Life's a beach

So with all my insanity in prepping for long trips, I somehow managed to miss packing my toothbrush. (Made damn sure I had a computer, so priorities seem correct!) Now, it's not that big of a deal since I can go get a regular toothbrush at almost any of the grocery/gas/drinks/"live bait" stores nearby, however I have become accustomed to ~my~ toothbrush. Some time ago (on the recommendation of my dentist) I picked up a Sonic Care Advance (yes, it's like the cheapest of the line, James). At first the vibration was very offsetting, and I almost decided to add it to the giant heap of unused appliances that most people have at home in some enshrined corner, believing that "some day, I'll use that so I'm NOT throwing it away!" We all know you're never gonna use that Nordic track skier for anything more than the over priced valet that it is now, and don't get me started on the other ridiculous items from RONCO, like food dehydrators, the inside-the-shell-egg-scrambler, or Ron Popeil's pasta maker. But perhaps I speak too strongly, despite my rabid anti-"as seen on TV" sentiment is... I must reveal that not only do I own, but also frequently use his Rotisserie. No really. I've made all sorts of chicken, turkey, beef roasts, and pork (or prok as I frequently mistype) roasts in this thing, and they have ALL come out delicious. From a simple season salt coating to a highly protected family recipe from my wife, everything has been easy. I hate to admit, but it really is as easy as "set it, and FORGET IT!" Even my wife (after getting over her initial skepticism with the first roast) now uses this hot lil item to make fantastic roasted beef dinners with ease. The only note I can make is to make sure you just put a drop of oil (olive or other) on the 2 points of rotation... They can make the most annoying rhythmic squeal once the thing gets going, at which point it is of course entirely too hot to pick up the thing and put oil on. (and yes, this IS covered in the instruction manual. Shows how important RTFM can be... *grin*)

Where was I? Oh yeah, the beach. Here are some gratuitous images of my worn out K9s.

Roxie utterly passed out in a stripe of sunlight on the couch.


The big brown Boris eyeing me suspiciously from his haven of comfort on the other couch.

More will be coming as the week rolls by (especially now that I have the computers working!) and I get a chance to take some pics and maybe even video. Hopefully the "High surf advisory/strong winds" will truly go away on Tuesday. I had to turn furniture over on the deck to keep it from pummeling the house, and the dogs continuously think an intruder is trying to get inside. NOT a restful environment! And hopefully the construction they're working on next door (like 20 feet away) will NOT start at 6am on Monday. If it does, they might have an "accidental" power outage and equipment malfunctions. The perils of this caustic seaside environment I'm sure.
*grin*

3 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger TheDoberwoman said...

Funny how you were so scornful of me for forgetting my toothbrush and it turns out that you forgot yours!!! :P

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger JamesF said...

The picture of Roxie is very nice. The Boris picture is good, but the backlighting seems to have washed out some of the color.

And I don't always get the cheapest stuff. I do splurge at times (not often, but it's been known to happen).

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger The Dogfather said...

Thanks! And yeah I knew about the backlighting issue, I cleaned it up a little, but still need practice in Paint Shop X.
I hope to get some good shots outside and maybe even a couple video clips to boot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home