Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Frustrated

Maybe not what you think... ;-)
 
*steps up to rant podium*
 
I'm frustrated with my current video/DVD burning/creation software.  Now, for small projects or projects NOT involving TiVo files, it does great.  As soon as you even ~try~ to look at TiVo files though, it slams the machine into a crawl, or worse crashes the app entirely (which doesn't ever really run correctly until you reboot).  With the research I've done I'm assuming it has something to do with trying to split the audio track out of the file (yes even for a preview icon in file explorer), and with the files on the order of 1 to 2 GB it's rough.  Normally I'm a big fan of Roxio products and have been for some time, but this one is personal.  I don't know how many times I've been trying to edit together my TiVo files so I can fit them onto a DVD and watch them upstairs or on a trip, only to have 15, 30, even an hour of work go straight into the ether.  Last night it was trying to get Lost episodes together so I can clear some TiVo space.  Got thru episode 3.2 and saved the cuts, then spent maybe 45 minutes working with 3.3 when it locked up and "lost" my changes.  This was after struggling with 3.2 for quite some time.  Yes, I will still go back and finish it, because I'm stubborn and I'm on a mission now.  But I'm not happy about it.  I went out and spent a little extra on this machine for the express purpose of video editing, and for what?  A great big [BLEEP] you from the software.  Wonderful.  I'd even consider going out to pick up Roxio 9... ~IF~ I thought it would fix the problem, but I haven't seen anything (in albeit minimal research) yet that indicates they have fixed this obvious problem.  Ok, now I feel better.
 
*steps away from rant podium*
 
Perhaps my shorter patience with things is a direct result of my impending celebration of the anniversary of my worldly arrival.  Or in JamesF speak "You damn kids!  Get off my LAWN!"  I've found myself thinking that, and have only gone so far as to ask them to stop kicking things into my fence, or leaving trash on my lawn, or poking sticks at my dogs, or drawing on my sidewalk, or hitting our cars with soccer/tennis/misc balls.  I ~want~ to say it, but have refrained.  I was shocked at one point when I asked some kids to leave the cul-de-sac where they had already hit both my and my wife's cars with a variety of objects (I'd asked them to play on the grass maybe 50 feet away) and got back not only a no, but so much of an attitude that I had to go inside get a phone, and actually BE the grumpy old guy on the block that calls the cops.  No, I hadn't called them, I had dialed my cell phone and left myself a message... but THEY didn't know that.  They did leave (especially after the wife took photos... *grin* I love her!) but not after making additional bratty comments.  Kids these days!  I would NEVER have considered not listening to a property owner ask us to move along.  Of course, growing up in Texas, you never knew if said owner was packing heat.  Better safe than sorry.  Not all the kids in our neighborhood are that bad, but a majority are.  And people ask me why I want to move...
 
Just to end on a positive note, I'll be going to dinner at a great place this Saturday with some friends I have not seen in a very long time.  The last time I was there, KenC wrote the review.  Maybe I'll do the next.  It is a really neat place called the Auld Shebeen.  They have classic Irish food like Reubens.  *grin*  Seriously though, they do have a good selection, and for those that like it, Guinness on tap.  Hopefully I'll save room for a tasty meal ender.
 
-Cheers

1 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Blogger JamesF said...

Ahhhh...

The return of the blog of scorn. How we've missed you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home