Saturday, September 02, 2006

It's working... it's workinggg!

The copy, expand, and swap increase finished about 45 minutes ago. I finished reassembling the parts (to include the old PC I used for the transfer), and placed the old TiVo drive into a safe place as a backup. So the new drive has 40GB (of old Twilight Zones and I think 5 Eurekas) and about 120GB of, as of yet, unused space. I think it may move from the bedroom to the basement though, since we wind up watching more tv downstairs. Mostly all I need is weather channel (although can I just say having the morning's weather/news available whenever you get up/out of the shower is wonderful) and a few shows, but the DVD player prolly gets more usage (which is still minimal). I can't justify buying a third TiVo, but you never know. So everything has been rebooted and tested (not exhaustively, but thoroughly) I even added the new season of Lost to the Season Pass menu, so it kept all the programming info as well as the old shows.

If you're going to do this on your own, it's a snap (with the right tools, planning, and preparations). If you can, delete as much of the old content as possible. All I can tell you is that doing the copy with a full drive took less than 8 hours, but NOT less than 7. True it doesn't have to be watched closely, but it's still a long while. Remember to have both the T-10 AND T-15 screwdrivers/bits available since they use TORX screws. Some models use both sizes, one for the case, the other for the drive rails. And please remember to be VERY careful around an open power supply, as a lingering charge can cause injury to yourself and/or the unit. (heh heh... I said "unit") Also make sure you test the boot CD (or floppy) on the system you plan on using for the transfer (no problem for me this time, but I believe the very first one I did this on, the CD drive did NOT like the CD).

And with Ernesto crowding around, outdoor work will most likely be postponed until later in the weekend. Good thing there's plenty of chores left inside. Good news is, da wife doesn't have to water the new grass, as it's probably getting all it can handle right now.

Well that's it for me for now, kids. Until next time. Same bat time, same bat channel. Unless you have TiVo. Then you can watch it whenever the heck you want!
:-)

6 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Blogger JamesF said...

Cool.

Now that it's working, set it up for the new Fantastic Four cartoon that comes on at 8 tonight on cartoon network. I'm guessing it will either be pretty good or complete crap. Really a toss up at this point (although if I were a betting man, I would lay money on complete crap).

 
At 1:19 AM, Blogger JamesF said...

Now that I think about it, if you already have the bootable CD, maybe you could help me out.

Quick question. However many years ago it was that we did this, they had weird drive reccomandations (like 5400 rpm to prevent them from getting too hot). Is that still the case, or have the requirements for the drive loosened up a bit and we can use more generic ones?

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger The Dogfather said...

It was a few years. I didn't see anything about that except a note or two if you were using 2 drives in the system. I only run one, and it's got lots of air circ. If I thought it was gonna be hot, I'd grab some old heatsinks, and put a little forest on top of the drive. *grin*

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger mattfite said...

why hasn't someone posted about the new fantastic four cartoon before now? was it any good? is it downloadable?

have you guys really been enjoying eureka. i keep trying to like it, but i've only been able to watch the first episode all the way through.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger JamesF said...

Is there a limit on the size of the drive you can use? I remember a while back it wouldn't use any more than 135 Gig on a drive, no matter how big the actual drive was.

Fantastic Four was eh. The art was a combination of serious and anime. Characters have pointy chins, and I just can't get past that. The story was somewhat weak, but had a couple of decent moments. The only good thing so far is it appears like it will have continuity and possibly an underlying plot tieing together episodes. I'm going to give it another week or two before I drop it, but right now it's on the edge.

And I have mixed feelings about Eureka. Underlying subplot, good. Some of the quirky 'mysteries' they have to solve. Good. Scenes where they go out of their way to show the Sheriff as being out of his element, bad (thinking specifically about the Virtual Reality baseball game here).

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger The Dogfather said...

Haven't actually watched a Eureka yet, they're just on the TiVo...

As for the size limits they still talk about them, but it wasn't an issue for my version of TiVo (series 2 later edition).

As for Fantastic Four... ask the comic book guy why he didn't post sooner.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home