Sunday, August 13, 2006

Ho hum, Sunday

Well the weekend was (thankfully) slow. Nice to have some relaxation. On Saturday, we went to a friend's house where they made paninis. Apparently the singular of this word is panino. Who knew? Back to the reason I'm mentioning it... It was the first time we had used anything harvested from the self-admitted tiny garden we have growing in the back this year. Only a few items being grown this year: tomatoes, cucumbers, yellow (summer) squash, and pumpkins.
Now... the squash (the things we harvested and brought with us) we sliced and they were lightly sauteed before being unceremoniously shoved into some delicious rosemary and olive oil bread with some chicken, a variety of cheese, grilled onions, and some peppers. This monster sammich (that's how I spell it, leave me alone) was then put into a panini grill, and heated to a nice golden crispiness. Delicious. Granted, the squash we harvested was nothing like the ones from 2003 (shown here).





As a side note... do NOT let squash get this big. They become riddled with seeds, and though we scooped them out and made stuffed squash with them (it was very tasty), nothing beats the little ones. The pumpkins we are growing (or trying to anyway) are from seeds out of the biggest pumpkin I ever grew, a 95 lb. monster. (Displayed here in my version of Rodin's "The Thinker".)





No cucumbers have shown up, although their vines are everywhere! There are a few pumpkin "buds", but no real progress towards a big gourd. Hopefully those guys will fill out soon. The tomatoes have quite a few flowers/proto-tomatoes but only 1 of size, and it's still green. All in all fairly well underway for starting VERY late in the season. I can't wait till the next batch of squash is ready for grilling, and I can sink my teeth into a freshly plucked (and WASHED) cucumber! Perhaps next year we'll be able to get the "crops" in the ground sooner (vacation interfered this year, and then RL).

And now James wants me to try some demo of a thing called Titan Quest. I've downloaded the demo, but not had a chance to take it for a test drive. I really don't have time for anything other than my current online addiction (no James, not blogging) City of Heroes. Maybe some night this week.
TTFN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home