Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Did you say... Cake?

Ok. I know I've been over it before, but it bears repeating. Years ago, I would never have even considered celebrating my dog's birthday. However, I have come to realize the dogs have fun (even if they don't really know what day it is), and I mean... it's CAKE! Here is Roxie's 1st taste of the birthday spotlight.


You'll also notice that she likes presents. Likes to kill and eat them that is. My dogs are not happy unless they are crushing a squeaker, tearing a seam apart, pulling out fluff, and/or generally causing destruction in the toy kingdom. Isle of Misfit Toys BEWARE!
(no animals were harmed in the filming of this video, with the possible exception of the stuffed cat.)

This is the last "dog" cake we had (Boris' 9th). And if you're wondering, NO they do not get the whole cake, and yes the humans get to partake in the cake (from the other side...) . I'm so entertained watching them snarf cake and open presents that I will continue this for as long as I have canines. Who knew dogs opened presents? None of the dogs I grew up with seemed to know what to do. Not even when it was a bone or a chew for them. The ones I have now eerily seem to know which presents are for them. I've watched them dive into a large pile of presents under the tree, only to emerge moments later with something belonging to one of them (ok, ~sometimes~ they don't know if it's theirs or the others, but it's always a puppy present). I would assume they are smelling the fiberfill "fluff", but they also pick out the non-"fluffed" toys, and the treats. It shall remain a most entertaining mystery. I can only suggest you (loosely) wrap a toy or treat for your canine(s), and see how well they do. (They may need some pointing, direction, and encouragement the first time, but they pick it up very fast!)

I leave you with an image of the big, tough, guard dog gently holding Roxie's bag while she visits the powder hydrant. He's such a sensitive guy.

4 Comments:

At 11:28 PM, Blogger TheDoberwoman said...

I can't believe you made Boris do that! You are a sick individual!!!

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger The Dogfather said...

Me? ME?!?! You told him to hold it for her, I just documented it photographically for posterity.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger JamesF said...

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger The Dogfather said...

Oh you're just jealous that you can't carry off a fluffy pink princess purse clenched in your teeth, and still look distinguished!


(Although the black leather pants you have go well with your white belt.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home