Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Rice rice, baby...

So when I got home today, Da Wife had a pot full of steamed rice waiting for me. This can mean only 1 of 2 things. 1 - One of the dogs has been violently ill for a few days and we need to feed them something very plain to help keep them nourished. 2 - She wants me to make fried rice. Since neither dog has had the slightest upset I knew it was the latter.
Over the last few years I've refined my fried rice recipe and am quite partial to it as it appears she is too. The normal recipe was again followed using whatever leftovers we had in the way of veggies and/or meats. I also usually add fresh mushrooms and onions and tonight was no exception on that front. Although I tend to add frozen peas and carrots at the end, tonight's little change was to peas, carrots, beans, and corn. I thought it blended nicely, and may use that next time as well. The big change tonight was the meat portion of our program. Usually I'd carve up some leftover grill items like pork chops, steak, chicken, or even sausages to use, but tonight I had some exotic leftovers - ostrich and buffalo. We also had some teriyaki kabob beef marinating so I cooked that up, cut it up, and into the vat o'rice it went. (The ostrich and buffalo had both also been teriyaki style so this was a bonus.)
Now when I say "vat o'rice" I mean it. This is the biggest pan I have to cook in (takes up two burners) and this is what it looked like after I was done cooking:


**Note: That is a full sized spatula that fits inside the pan.

Oh yeah... that picture was taken AFTER we both had our dinner bowls filled with tasty scoops from there. I almost always make this much, and we always have leftovers... but not very long. The first time I ever have to throw leftovers out, I'm reducing the size. *grin*

Of course now that I've made fried rice, I'm thinking about making some fresh summer rolls with spicy plum sauce and/or Pad Ken Thai (my version of pad Thai noodles). Some day I may even try one of the desserts they have at a restaurant nearby - rotee.
I tried looking up more info on them, and this seemed pretty close, if you're interested.

1 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger TheDoberwoman said...

Tonight's dinner was fantastic! Your fried rice rocks!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home