Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Actually...

I've noticed over the last couple weeks that we are, as a nation, plagued by a singular word. More to the point, I was surprised when I found myself using it, and frequently. What's worse is that once aware of my overabundant usage, I seemed to be unable to break the habit! I put concerted effort into this for at least a week, and while there is improvement, I still slip up. Da Wife too, has noticed (ok ok, SHE is the one that told me) and made an effort to adjust her speech.

Just look around. Or better yet LISTEN around. To the people around you, people on the radio, on the tv, in stores. The word ACTUALLY is everywhere. When did that take over everything?
Seems as though some people noticed back in 2002!
And another in September of '07.

And from Lake Superior University's "Ban a Word" website the following from Jan '07:

Comment from Casey Lutton
Time: January 5, 2007, 6:28 pm
ACTUALLY
Actually I actually think you should actually consider banning “actually”. Actually I actually believe this word is actually overused and actually superfluous.


Though I do think they are ACTUALLY going a little overboard...;-)

*** EDIT 10/16/2008 ***
I was graciously reminded by JamesF that he had noticed this earlier in June of 2007 as well. He noticed the usage in his kids, and Barry agreed in the comments, that he had observed the same behavior in his kids.

1 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Blogger JamesF said...

I claim noticing it back in June of 2007.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home